Munster League #8: Glengarra Wood, Co. Tipperary SUNDAY OCTOBER 12TH Event Info
Post date: Oct 09, 2014 5:3:40 PM
The eight event in the 2014 Munster League will take place this Sunday October 12th in Glengarra Wood, near Cahir in Co. Tipperary. This a very scenic forest with 2 areas of Millennium Forest planting! Mixed forestry, good road/track network and open moorland for the longer courses.
- Yellow 3.4km, 70m climb, 11 controls, scale 1:7500
(suitable for beginners and families)
- Orange 3.4km, 100m climb, 11 controls, scale 1:7500
(suitable for improvers)
- Light Green 5.3km, 140m climb, 13 controls, scale 1:10000
(suitable for those looking to build on their summer or autumn league orienteering experiences)
- Green 6.4km, 300m climb, 17 controls, scale 1:10000
- Blue 7.6km, 320m climb, 19 controls, scale 1:10000
- Brown 8.6km, 370m climb, 21 controls, scale 1:10000
The Green, Blue and Brown courses are technically difficult and should challenge experienced orienteers. Loose control description sheets will be available for these courses. Please note that the Blue and Brown courses will briefly visit the open hillside to the East of the woods - this area can be quite exposed in bad weather so please bring appropriate gear.
Map scale 1:10000, contour interval 5m, SPORTIdent punching.
Anytime from 11:30am to 12.30pm.
Courses close at 2.30pm.
Please let us know if you're bringing a group.
Glengarra Wood is very accessible from Cork and Dublin via the M8 motorway. Parking is in the first car park on the right hand side, after you enter the woods.
* From Cork city, take the M8 northbound as far as Junction 12, signposted Mitchelstown/Kilbeheny. Take the R639 through the villages of Kilbeheny and Skeheenarinky. Glengarra Wood is on the left hand side of the road, approx. 3km from Skeheenarinky, and 500m after passing under a wide bridge.
* From Dublin/Waterford, take the M8 southbound and exit at Junction 11, signposted Kilbeheny/Skeheenarinky. Follow the R639 south, passing Kilcoran Lodge on your right. Once you pass a turn for Burncourt and Mitchelstown Caves on your left, the entrance to the woods is 500m on the right hand side of the road.
Prices: Senior e7; Student, over-65 e5; Junior e4; Family e16; Groups by request.